Thursday 5 November 2015

Autumn Soul

On a grey, rainy November day, sat in my studio listening to the rain, it seems a long time since half term holidays last week. It seems to my sun starved brain a long time since walking in the Suffolk countryside absorbing the sweet, autumn sun. Walking out, away from the village of Long Melford, away from the horses in their fields, past the sheep and into the farmers ploughed land - I felt free. I packed my pockets with sloes. I collected acorns in their jaunty hats. I looked up at their Mother oak tree and felt comforted. I felt grounded and timeless at the same time. I walked without intention. I took some photos as reminders of place. I watched the light and drew the colours into my mind. And since then, back in the studio I have started a new series of work on landscape, and trees, and the time I spent meandering in nature is flowing on to the page in a way that seems to have escaped me earlier in the summer. I really do have an autumn soul.






You can see more images of my autumn journey on Instagram.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to feel the memory of that warm Melford walk again, Helen! x always love your blog x Clare

Simplicity Counselling said...

I think I know what you mean, Helen - my creativity often comes to the fore in autumn, too. Enjoying reading/ discovering your blog/ work, etc - thank you! Tracie (ex ROC student, in private practice).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...