Friday 18 June 2010

Real post!



Today I received real post!  A lovely package of inspiration from our good friend Peter.  It contained an old tin (soon to have buttons in), a book on David Gentleman's work and an article on picnics.....I love a picnic.

David Gentleman wood engraving

Wood engravings for press advertisements

Penguin jacket, 1957

I know David Gentlemen's work from a beautifully illustrated book from his travels to India, but I hadn't realised what a talented designer he was.  Likened to Edward Bawden and Eric Ravilious, he designed for advertisements, stamps, textiles and books. He studied at St.Albans College of Art, where my own creativity found flight.  The book, David Gentleman Design, is a great addition to a library of mid-century art and design.


Also included in my inspiration pack, was a leaflet about the V&A pattern series.  These books are much coveted by me though I've yet to acquire any of them.

Hope inspiration pops up for you in an unexpected place.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...